Next up on the virtual baking sessions: Gingersnaps (recipe by Preppy Kitchen)! I shared a poll on Instagram for preferences and this was the most popular vote. There is something so comforting about the mix of spices in these cookies that felt just right. We all got together on our Zoom kitchen and as we made these cookies we all noted the amazing smells that filled the entire kitchen and made us all feel cozy and warm. And the best part is that they end up perfectly covered in sugar 🙂 Enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (300g)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3/4 cup butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup molasses (dark)
- 1 egg large
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar (sanding or granulated for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, and cloves into a large bowl. Whisk together and set aside.
2. Cream the butter, sugar and molasses in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or using an electric mixer). Beat until lighter in color and fluffy.
3. Add the egg while mixing on low, then add the vanilla. Scrape the bowl down and mix again until ingredients are completely distributed.
4. Add the flour mixture in then mix on low to medium-low until just combined. Scrape bowl down one last time and use a spatula to fold in any remaining flour.
5. Use a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon to portion out 1.5-2 inch balls. Roll each into a ball then roll in sanding or granulated sugar.
6. Place balls about two inches apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake at 350F for 12-13 minutes. The cookie edges will be set but the centers will continue to set after they’re removed from the oven.