For our first official virtual Baking with Friends session, we baked Whipped Shortbread Cookies (recipe from Just So Tasty). It was a relatively easy recipe to make with a few easy steps. The cookies themselves just melt away in your mouth and we made them festive by adding fun holiday sprinkles to the cookies. The recipe makes 24 cookies but we ended up with a few more. These cookies were the perfect bite-sized treat to go with coffee, tea and even wine!
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 300F degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper or baking mats.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and powdered sugar until very fluffy and aerated (at least 5 minutes).
- Then, mix in the flour, cornstarch, salt and vanilla extract.
- Dust your hands with cornstarch so the dough doesn’t stick to your hands and then form the dough into balls about 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon in size.
- Place on the lined cookie sheets.
- Press down the top of each cookie with a fork dipped in cornstarch (this prevents sticking).
- Add a few sprinkles to the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until the tops look set.